Fraunhofer Institute for Mechanics of Materials IWM
We develop materials and coating processes for the functionalisation of surfaces of molds, forming tools, medical and micromechanical as well as optical components and adapt the processes to industrial standards . One outstanding research topic is the investigation of self-organizing, structure-forming phenomena during layer growth and the exploitation of these phenomena to control surface properties such as reflection, wetting, adhesion and haptics. A unique feature of the department is the extensive knowledge about the relationship between coating deposition parameters and the resulting microstructure and internal stresses of the coating.
- Development of tool coatings that are temperature and thermoshock- resistant for rapid injection molding and hot embossing processes.
- Development of nano-structured layers for replication tools to produce functionalized components (anti-reflection, wetting).
- Development of solderable layers for glass, plastic and silicon components.
- Qualification of coatings in terms of wetting with other media, thermomechanical loads, conductivity and optical response.
- Development of high temperature stable, anti-adhesive tool coatings for molding of environmentally friendly unleaded glass.
- Development of new biocompatible layer materials with defined micro and nanostructures for medical implants.
- Investigations into layer properties and layer functions under the influence of thermal und mechanical loads.
Publications of group functional coatings:
- Hagen, J.; Burmeister, F.; Rendtel, A.; Kübler, M.; Burr, A., A novel composite ceramic material as heating elements in injection molding processes, cfi – ceramic forum international 88/4 (2011) E23-E26
- Burmeister, F.; Hagen, J.; Denter, J.; Wirth, M.; Fromm, A.; Kleer, G., Hybrid inorganic-organic functional coatings for injection molding applications, Plasma Processes and Polymers 6 (2009) 1-5, full text in Fraunhofer publica
- Hagen, J.; Burmeister, F.; Fromm, A.; Manns, P.; Kleer, G., Iridium coatings with titanium sub-layer deposited by RF magnetron sputtering: Mechanical properties and contact behavior with RoHScompliant glass melt, Plasma Processes and Polymers 6 (2009) 678-683
- Kohn, C.; Hug, M.; Kübler, R.; Krappitz, M.; Kleer, G., Increase of the strength of screen printed silicon solar cells by post treatments, in Proc. of 25th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition; WIP-Renewable Energies, München (2010) 2062-2065
- Burmeister, F.; Hagen, J., Von der Einfachschicht zu funktionalen Hybridschichtaufbauten, Konstruktion 11-12 (2008) IW15
- Burmeister, F.; Hagen, J.; Denter, J.; Wirth, M.; Fromm, A.; Kleer, G.., Hybrid inorganic-organic functional coatings for injection molding applications, Plasma Pol. Surf. Sci, submitted
- Burmeister, F.; Kohn, C.; Kuebler, R.; Kleer, G.; Bläsi, B.; Gombert, A., Applications for TiAlN- and TiO2-coatings with nanoscale surface topography, Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (5-6), 1555 – 1559 (2005)
- Burmeister, F.; Schäffer, E.; Kleer, G.; Döll, W.; Bläsi, B.; Gombert, A., Investigation of structured TiAlN- and TiO2-coatings with moth-eye like surface morphologies, Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (1-4), 1088 – 1092 (2005)
- Hagen, J.; Burmeister, F.; Fromm, A.; Manns, P.; Kleer, G.., Iridium coatings with titanium sub-layer deposited by RF magnetron sputtering: Mechanical properties and contact behavior with RoHS-compliant glass melt, Plasma Pol. Surf. Sci, submitted