Assessment of microelectronic systems integration
Fraunhofer Institute for Mechanics of Materials IWM
We evaluate the structural design and joining technologies and the substrates and housing materials related to semi-conductor technologies (IC, MEMS) in microelectronic components, modules and integrated systems. Our evaluations of quality and operational behavior are carried out with the aid of powerful microstructure analysis techniques, mechanical tests and material behavior modeling. In close cooperation with manufacturers, we help to avoid failures, optimize technological stages and ensure the quality and lifetime of microelectronic system components.
- Microstructural diagnostics during the technology and material development process of microelectronic components, modules and systems.
- Analysis of defect formation and damage mechanisms arising under operational and process conditions in terms of structural design and joining techniques via high-resolution material and surface analysis.
- Physical fault analysis in complex components and integrated systems, investigation of failure in the field.
- Characterization of deformation, strength and lifetime properties of system components, definition of local mechanical material properties in relation to microstructure.
- Development of material models, simulation of semi-conductor strength and of operational behavior and lifetime of wire bond contacting.
- Further development of microstructure diagnostic techniques and quality assurance for new system integration concepts, such as package, wafer level package concepts and RFID.