Fraunhofer Institute for Mechanics of Materials IWM
We investigate the morphological and mechanical properties of biological materials and biocompatible surfaces. Special preparation techniques, investigative methods and evaluation methods are modified and further developed to suit specific materials. We also study the relationships between structure, properties and surface functionality of biological material such as teeth, bones or cartilage and of biocompatible materials such as implants, scaffolds or protein coatings. Coatings and other surface modifications allow us to control biofunctionality, e.g. antifouling coatings.
- Investigation into the morphology and microstructure of biological materials using electron microscope methods and the further development of preparation and investigation techniques (cryo-technologies, focused ion beam technology).
- Interface engineering with biological and biocompatible materials for tissue engineering.
- Analysis of the functionality of oral and dental hygiene products.
- Surface functionalization and structural analysis of dental materials.
- Interface and surface analysis of implant materials.
- Mechanical evaluation of biological and biocompatible materials under physiological conditions.
- Surface functionalization via plasma techniques and wet coatings.
- Development of biosensor components.